Throwing a baby shower for your friend or loved one can be fun and overwhelming at the same time. Our quick check list, timeline, and theme ideas will help make your job as the host a little easier.
Quick Baby Shower Check List:
- Determine baby shower budget
- Create guest list
- Set date and location for baby shower
- Decide on baby shower theme
- Plan baby shower menu
- Order decorations and party favors (don’t forget a diaper cake!)
- Plan “schedule of events”
- Be sure to have camera for pictures or recording
- Check that new mommy has registered at her favorite baby store
- Keep track of gifts while the new mommy is opening them in order to make sending thank you cards easy for mommy-to-be
Simple Timeline for Baby Shower
- Creative Sign in – Have a “sign in” where guests can write something creative for the new parents on a picture frame, guest book, etc.
- Welcome Guests – Introduce the mother-to-be (and father if he is there) and thank everyone for coming. The mother-to-be may want to say something to the guests. Let everyone know to sign the guest book, etc. and to make sure they get food.
- Shower Games – To help people mingle, have a few simple games that help people socialize. It’s best to have group games that don’t mandate everyone to participate in case some prefer to be spectators.
- Dessert – While everyone is enjoying tasty desserts, people can give funny or sentimental advice to the parent(s)-to-be.
- Gift Opening - It is customary to open gifts while the guests are still present. It’s helpful for the shower host or someone to take notes so the parent(s)-to-be can send thank you notes later.
- Gift Giving – It is customary for the new parent(s) to give the shower host a thank you gift. Now is also the time to thank everyone for their generosity and support.
- Wrap up – As people begin to leave, it is helpful to help with clean up and carrying gifts to the car if the new parent(s) drove.
*The internet is your best friend when planning a baby shower. Search for baby shower themes, games, food, and other ideas.
Baby Shower Theme Ideas:
(Have the cake, party favors, decorations, etc. stem from one main theme)
- Polka Dots
- Teddy Bears
- Noah’s Ark
- Tea Party
- Happy Moon & Stars
- Baby Bassinets/Carriages
- Baby footprints and/or handprints
- Two peas in a pod (or more if mommy is expecting multiples)
- Nursery Rhymes
- Born to Rock (Rock themed party)
Especially for Boys
- Blue Bears
Especially for Girls
- Little Diva
- Pink Bears