Monthly Archives: May 2012
Finding the perfect tandem stroller can be daunting especially with so many choices. The key to knowing which Contours tandem stroller is right for you, is to know which features are the most important to you. Our stroller team has put together a handy little chart to help you understand the difference between the Options tandem stroller, the Optima tandem stroller and the Options LT tandem stroller.You can see the chart when you click on the compare button. And while you are at it, click on the watch button for our fun Contours LT tandem stroller video.
Take a look and see which Contours tandem stroller is right for you. If you have any questions, our stroller team is standing by ready to help!
Bring out your child’s inner Picasso with this easy, fun art craft.
What you need:
- Non-toxic paint
- Construction paper
- Toothbrush or paintbrush
- Newspapers to cover surface
- Paper plates (optional)
- Old clothes or smock
What to do:
- Spread newspaper on sidewalk (if you are doing this outside) or table so you don’t end up with paint everywhere.
- Squeeze non-toxic finger paint on paper plates or newspaper.
- Dip your paintbrush or toothbrush in the paint and flick your wrist towards the construction paper. Paint will splatter on the paper in fun designs. If you don’t mind your kids getting messy, have them flick the paint off the toothbrush with their fingers.
- Be sure to put your child’s name on it & age!
What art crafts do you like to do with your kids?
Sometimes our children hear over and over what they need to improve: listen more, try harder in school, eat their veggies, etc. These are important reminders, but we also need to step back and remind our kids how good, kind, smart, special, fill in the blank____ they are. It’s never too early to start. Even when your baby is small you should get into the habit of daily affirmations. It’s as simple as saying, “John is a beautiful baby”, “Marisa is good at taking naps”, etc. Build this into your daily routine so when your child is older and can understand more, she will feel the benefits of positive affirmations.
We love this video from Sesame Street about positive affirmations. Play it with your child and ask him or her, “What is one thing you like about yourself?” Be sure you add your positive affirmation for your child.
Memorial Day is a wonderful time to teach your kids about those who have given their lives for our freedom. We love this Memorial Day easy craft for kids. We tried it out with our kids and they had lots of fun making these flag place mats.
What you need:
- Red, white, blue construction paper or craft foam
- Non-toxic glue
- Scissors or cutting knife (adult use only)
What to do:
- Cut red & blue foam into vertical strips about 1 inch wide
- Make horizontal slits in white foam or paper about 1 inch apart from each other
- Weave strips of red and blue through the slits on white foam/paper alternating patterns
- Use for your Memorial Day picnic. One of our Kolcraft Kids wrote a message to her Grandpa thanking him for being a Veteran.
Share with us how you celebrate Memorial Day!
Start spreading the news because 3 Contours moms are going to BlogHer 2012!
We are super excited to be sending 3 Contours Moms to BlogHer NYC from August 3-4, 2012. Watch the video to find out more or visit their blogs and learn about their adventures at the BlogHer 2012 Conference!
Our Contours Moms are:
Christine – From Dates to Diapers
Sarah – Minnesota mama’s Must Haves
Jennifer – Mom Spotted
We are thrilled to be sending these amazing moms on their BlogHer adventure.
Be sure to check our blog and theirs for ways you can win prizes throughout the year.
Jillian Michaels known for her hardcore fitness tactics on the Biggest Loser, is getting in touch with her softer side now that she is a mom. After a long adoption process she brought home her daughter from Haiti and in the same week her partner, Heidi Rhoades, gave birth to their son.
Speaking of Biggest Loser Moms, we are loving these tips from The Mommy Diet by Alison Sweeney. She suggests using plain Greek yogurt in dishes instead of butter or cream. It still gives the dish lots of flavor, but without the calories!
- Use plain yogurt instead of cream in creamy pasta dishes. You will save up to 300 calories per portion.
- Use plain yogurt instead of cream and butter in mashed potatoes and on a baked potato. You will save up to 350 calories.
- Use plain yogurt instead of mayonnaise in dips and cold sauces. It will save you 340 calories!
For more tips, recipes, workout plans and more be sure to pick up your copy of The Mommy Diet today!
Sunburn can happen so easily during these nice-weather months when our kids are constantly outside. A few preventative tips can help your child avoid sunburn so she can enjoy playing outside without pain.
- Stay out of direct sun as much as possible during peak times (10am -4pm).
- Wear a wide brimmed hat. If possible get one that also covers the neck. This is especially important for babies.
- Always put on sunblock even on cloudy days! Talk to your physician about what SPF is best for your child.
- Have child wear UV blocking sunglasses when outdoors.
- Be sure to have child wear loose fitting clothes so sweat can evaporate. Try to have as much of child covered as possible. We know those little swimsuits look so cute on your child, but opt for ones that cover more and have sun protection.
Summertime is a time to be outdoors and have fun, but sunburn can have serious consequences. Follow these easy 5 tips for healthy, summer skin! Check back next week for more summer tips!
Play teaches children many things like problem solving, team work, how to use imagination and much more. We love this cheap, easy, fun activity for kids to teach all of the above.
What you need:
- Large cardboard box
- Space without delicate items or sharp corners
What to do:
- Have child sit in box.
- Blindfold child.
- Push child to different rooms and have him guess what room you are in. You can give clues like – there is something yellow here, we like to talk in this room, etc.
- If you have enough kids, divide into teams. Have one child get into box & the next child push her to a finish line. Then they switch all while racing against the other team. Be sure to stay clear of stairs & sharp corners!
Who knew so much fun could come from a free “toy”. What fun things have your kids done with boxes?
Our Contours strollers are sporting a new chic fashion called Valencia Gold. Hyon Troutman, Senior Fashion Design Manager, took some time to tell us the inspiration behind the new fashion. From sunsets to shoes, the inspiration behind Valencia Gold will make your Contours stroller the envy of every parent and baby.
Check out the latest inspiration for Contours on Pinterest!
Contours – this baby’s got it all!