5 Healthy Snacks for Toddlers on the Go
Snacks can be opportunities for fueling growing bodies and keeping your child on a healthy eating schedule. The secret is to give healthy snacks (avoid refined carbohydrates like goldfish crackers) and portion control. Look at labels and chose foods that have less ingredients and words you can pronounce. This will help eliminate a lot of chemical add-ins. A few other tips:
- Veggie Snacks – Cut up carrots, celery, zucchini, peppers, etc. Add herbs and spices to dress them up or a dash of Celtic Salt. If your child likes to dip vegetables, skip the ranch dressing & try some healthy hummus!
- DIY Trail Mix – Raisins, cranberries, dates, almonds, sunflower seeds or whatever your child’s favorite dried fruit or nut is, throw it in a sandwich bag and shake it up. Buy in bulk and divide the ingredients in bags at the beginning of the week. Let your children help out. They will love eating something they made.
- Pouches – Packed with nutrients (we suggest Earth’s Best or Plum), these are great little snacks for kids on the go. They can get pricey, but if you want lots of fruit and veggies in a convenient package, these are the way to go.
- Cheese Cubes – Filled with vitamin D, cheese cubes are a fun way for your child to get her dairy intake.
- Roasted Chick Peas – A wonderful crunchy alternative to chips! We love Steamy Kitchen’s recipe that is easy to make. Just be sure your child can handle eating these since they are small and can be a choking hazard.
What is your favorite on the go snack for your child?
Posted May 29, 2013