5 Tips on Being A Green Eco – Friendly Family
Being an eco-friendly family may seem like a daunting task, but with these 5 simple tips your family can help take care of our earth and make it a better place!
- Grow your own garden – Growing your own vegetables is a healthy way to care for your family, the earth & your bank account! Tomatoes, summer squash and herbs are some of the easiest vegetables to grow. Your kids will love being able to watch their garden grow and eat their hard work! If you live in the city with no room for a garden, support your local community garden or community market!
- Clean up – Pick up litter. Get your kids in the habit of picking up cans, plastic bags, etc. that people throw on the ground. Put on disposable gloves & go on a garbage hunt in your neighborhood to pick up litter others have left behind.
- Say goodbye to chemicals – Cleaners are packed with chemicals that are harmful to your family and the environment. Trade in your chemical cleaners for eco-friendly versions (we love the products at Eco Store USA & found they clean better than chemical cleaners!) or use homemade cleaners like our grandparents did years ago – vinegar, oils, lemons, baking soda, etc.
- Go paperless – Pay bills online to cut back paper waste and ask companies not to send you catalogs via mail. You can keep up with savings from companies by signing up for emails, liking their Facebook page or following them on Twitter.
- Recycle, reduce and reuse – Take a look around your house & cut back on unnecessary things, see what you can recycle and start to reuse things. Start with one seemingly small thing & keep adding one more thing every week. You will be amazed how quickly your house and your family become green! We love the Freecycle site to help recycle, reduce and reuse.
Each of us can do something to make our lives and the world a better place. Anne Frank, a girl wise beyond her years said it well, “How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.” We don’t have to wait. Let’s start today to make our world a better place!
What tips do you have for becoming a more green family?