5 Tips To Becoming A Healthy Snacker and Teaching Your Kids To Do the Same
Who doesn’t love to snack? It’s hard to go between meals without some sort of snack, but the trick to healthy snacking is keeping a few rules in mind. The best part is if you snack healthy, the chances of your kids snacking healthy are higher because they will follow your lead especially if you don’t have a lot of sugary or fatty snacks in the house to begin with!
5 Tips To Healthier Snacking:
- Prepare portions of healthy snacks ahead of time so you won’t be tempted to grab a bag of chips or a cookie. Divide up almonds or other nuts, sunflower seeds, dried fruit or cut up vegetables into containers that you can grab on the go.
- Give whole grains a chance! Whole grain tortillas, cereals, pretzels, etc. are a better alternative than their white flour equivalents plus they tend to give you energy that is longer lasting.
- Have hummus on hand to spice up your vegetables. The added protein will help fill you up!
- Look at labels. Some will brag that they are fat-free or low-sugar but they are high in cholesterol, etc. Check the label to get the whole picture.
- Drink plenty of water in-between meals. Staying hydrated is key to healthy living and will help fill you up!
Tomorrow is National Trail Mix Day! Don’t miss our post on taking a hike with your kids and how to make a yummy trail mix snack!