5 Tips To Calm A Fussy Baby
It’s 2 am and your baby is screaming at the top of her lungs. You are exhausted and at the verge of tears as you try to calm your baby. What is a tired parent to do? We asked some moms, dads and experts what they do to calm a fussy baby. Here are 5 of the top tips.
- Swaddle – Swaddling your baby helps control her arms and legs from flailing. It also gives baby a womb-like experience of warmth and security.
- White Noise – Whether you are shushing loudly, running a vacuum, hair dryer or white noise app, the constant lull of white noise or a shushing sound mimics the sounds of the womb.
- Hum – Place baby on your chest and hum. The sound of your voice plus the natural vibrations from humming are a winning combo to calm baby.
- Massage – Your are your babies perfect masseuse. Your touch is healing and it tells baby he is safe and loved. Zen Mommy from My Mommy Manual gives an easy-to-follow demonstration on how to massage your baby.
- Stay Calm – It is hard to stay calm when baby is crying, but if you stay calm your baby will be more calm. If you are upset, baby picks up on that. If need be, put baby in a safe space like her crib and give yourself a time out before you go back in and try to soothe her.
Posted October 23, 2012