Sometimes a dad can feel a bit on the outskirts of a pregnancy or baby bonding. They don’t do the actual birthing of baby, breastfeeding, etc., but there are still many ways that daddy can bond with baby.
Here are 5 ways that dads can bond with baby.
- Feeding time – If you are formula feeding baby or baby is taking breast milk from a bottle at times, now is the opportunity for hubby to pitch in for those 2 am feedings. It may be difficult at first for you and for him, but soon that 2 am feeding will become special baby/daddy time.
- Story time – Tired of reading Good Night Little Bear for the millionth time? We have seen some dads read the sports page or ESPN magazine in their story-time voices. Who knew golf could sound so sweet?
- Diaper time – Not exactly the most exciting job on the planet, but it has to be done and it can become a bonding moment. We love how Mat uses a Cajun accent when he is changing his daughter’s diaper.
- Texture time – Dad’s bodies have lots of textures for baby as he learns his new world through tactile contact. Everything from a dad’s 5 o’clock shadow to a smooth beard to hairy arms – a baby has a whole “texture map” to explore while bonding with dad.
- Carry time – Babies are portable and dad’s can bond with them by strapping on a baby carrier and going for a walk, doing safe chores together (not a good idea to mow the lawn or paint a room when baby wearing) or doing a hobby together. It’s a great time for baby to snuggle against daddy’s chest and for dad to bond with baby.
What ways has your baby bonded with dad?