The kids are returning to school, summer parties are ending, and the final summer holiday is here. Whether you are excited that summer is coming to a close or wishing you had 3 more months of summer, we hope that this Labor Day is time of rest and enjoyment with your family.
Happy Labor Day!
It’s National Tooth Fairy Day! It’s a great day to celebrate your child’s healthy smile with these fun activities!
- Happy Food for Healthy Teeth – Talk to your child about healthy eating and the special foods that the Tooth Fairy eats – vegetables, fruit, milk, etc. Sugar takes a bit of sparkle away from the tooth fairy! Make the Tooth Fairy sparkle by eating only happy food for healthy teeth today!
- Color a Happy Smile – Print out these Tooth Fairy coloring pages and talk about healthy smiles while you color the Tooth Fairy!
- Sing and Brush – Sing a brushing song while your child brushes his teeth. We like these easy-to-sing brushing songs.
- Keep Yourself in the Know – Most toothpaste brands have tips on their sites about caring for your child’s teeth. Be sure you are in the know!
- Think Outside the Bank – Some people think the Tooth Fairy needs to leave behind a small dowry. The excitement is not in the amount of money left in the pillow, but in the celebration of hitting another milestone. Other ideas besides leaving money are: leave a congratulatory certificate, a letter from the Tooth Fairy, a shiny penny from the year your child was born, a gift certificate to do one of your child’s favorite activities with her or a scavenger hunt to find the gift left from the Tooth Fairy.
Use your imagination, celebrate your child’s healthy smile and enjoy National Tooth Fairy Day!
Usually our Tuesday posts are dedicated to a Tip Tuesday but since today is National Creamsicle Day, our tip is to enjoy this last bit of summer making a tasty treat with your kids!
What you need:
- 2 cups orange juice
- Up to 1/3 cup honey
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cups fresh cream
- 2 cups fresh whole milk
- 4 to 6 drops organic sweet orange essential oil (or 1/4 tsp orange extract)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Stir 1/3 cup honey into 2 cups orange juice.
- Pour the mixture of juice and honey into a heavy-bottomed sauce pan and heat it over a medium flame until reduced by half.
- Once the mixture of honey and orange juice has been reduced by half to viscous syrup, remove it from the heat and allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Whisk four egg yolks, two cups fresh cream and two cups fresh whole milk with organic sweet orange essential oil or orange extract and one teaspoon vanilla extract. Continue whisking until all the ingredients are very well combined.
- Whisk the mixture of honey and orange juice into the mixture of eggs, cream and milk.
- Pour the Creamsicle mixture into your Popsicle molds and freeze until solid, at least twelve hours.
Recipe submitted by A. Koltun, daughter of Kolcraft’s President, Tom Koltun
*If you are concerned about using raw eggs, you can also try the recipe without them, but there will be a bit of a different texture.
We have our gold medal winner from Kolcraft’s Olympic Craft event! This little Olympian sent us photos of each part of her craft: torch, laurel wreath and star medal. We love her creativity and thoroughness! She will be receiving an Olympic goodie box for all her creative efforts.
Thanks to everyone who submitted crafts in our contest. We had lots of fun looking at them. Congrats to all our winners!
For several years Kolcraft has partnered with K.I.D.S. – a mission based company who quite simply give caring responses through time & donations to children in the crisis of poverty. K.I.D.S. brings hope and self-esteem to children & families in need in the USA & throughout the world by providing new clothes, shoes, toys furniture, book and juvenile products. Over the past 25 years, K.I.D.S. has provided more than 65 million underprivileged and disaster-struck children with nearly $1 BILLION of new products.
Tom Koltun, Kolcraft’s president, along with Kolcraft and our Kolcraft Mom ambassadors have been able to donate funds and products to K.I.D.S throughout the years, but we don’t always know the personal stories of those who receive the products. We were thrilled to hear that the 1,658 Jeep strollers we donated valued at over $66,000 were delivered to kids in Sri Lanka. Many of the strollers were given to Development Centers where children and infants with special needs live.
Mas. Dulitha Methsara captured our hearts (2nd child from left in photo above). He was abandoned in a hospital by his birth mom. He has cerebral palsy and unable to walk or talk. He does respond when his name is called and lets the staff know what food he enjoys. He was so happy to receive a new Jeep stroller which will allow him to attend different events and get around more.
Kolcraft believes that all of us can “do our part” to help children in need. We are proud to partner with K.I.D.S. and give back to those who desperately need the basics for caring for their children. Two Kolcraft Mom/Dad blogs – Being MVP and Chunky and Monkey, MD – are hosting silent auctions for Contours Tandem strollers. The proceeds will go to help K.I.D.S. and you will have a great Contours tandem stroller!
On Tuesday Kolcraft joined Operation Shower to celebrate a Star Spangled Baby Shower for military moms-to-be. It was an amazing day in Chicago where 40 military moms came together to celebrate their pregnancies. What exactly is Operation Shower? It is an non-profit organization that celebrates and honors military families by throwing baby showers for moms-to-be. It is an opportunity to ease the burden of deployment (many of these moms are going through pregnancy, labor & delivery by themselves), to celebrate their babies with wonderful baby showers delivering high-quality products and to connect military moms with other military moms so they don’t feel so alone.
Kolcraft has partnered with Operation Shower for over a year, but this was their first shower in Chicago and we were super excited to attend. As we talked with the moms we were so touched by their stories of bravery and love.
Kolcraft was honored to be part of this special baby shower and look forward to showering many more military moms with love and great baby products! You can be part of Operation Shower by donating. Every little bit helps!
We know you will love the photos from the event which you can watch in a video montage here!
You can view TV coverage of the event on these links:
Fourth of July is fast approaching. Why wait until Wednesday to kick off the festivities? Start your celebration with some of these tasty patriotic treats:
- Everyone loves the Flag Cake at each 4th of July barbeque. Kolcraft has developed our own take on the family favorite. Instead, we recommend creating a strawberry shortcake display of the American flag. Using mini shortcakes, your favorite whipped cream, and either blueberries or and strawberries, display the short cakes in the shape of an American Flag.
- Every mom knows she will be making quite a few sandwiches per week. Try using your star cookie cutter to give a patriotic spin to your child’s PB&J.
- We loved the idea of a 4th of July fruit kabobs from Events to a T. Use strawberries, blueberries, and marshmallows to create a great tasty treat. Check out these other fruit kabobs for your next barbeque.
- Our blog has some great festive recipes as well. Enjoy Nut Butter-flys, grilled corn with chipotle lime butter, and more from our archives.
What you need:
- Scissors (adult use only)
- Crayons, markers or paint
- Tac (adult use only)
- Pencil, straw or doll-rod
- Have your child color or paint on one side of the paper.
- When your child is finished, cut from the tip of each side of the paper towards the center. Make sure you don’t cut too deep so the paper separates.
- Fold the tips towards the middle.
- Place the tac through the middle holding the sides together.
- Write the year on back of pinwheel.
- Fasten to a pencil eraser or doll-rod.
Also, thanks to one of our Kolcraft employees and her 10-month old for taking the time to share their art! We look forward to seeing her art skills again soon.