This week is Macy’s Flower Show, which has got us on a creative and color high! It was so refreshing to be surrounded by so many beautiful plants, especially because there still seems to be snow outside…
So in an attempt to bring the beauty of all of the fresh flowers from Macy’s into our own home, we tried our hand at making ink dyed coasters! They’re cheap, easy, kid-friendly, with a beautiful end result that is super functional for your family home. How can you beat it?!
– Ink dye, found at our local craft store
– Alcohol blending solution, or just simple rubbing alcohol
– A set of 4×4 tiles, found at our local Home Depot at a great price of $2 for 8 tiles!
– Felt tips
– Optional: sealant spray
1. Set up a safe work space. The dye doesn’t spread outside of the area covered in alcohol, but if you let your kids take the reins you’re better off safe!
2. Using a paper towel or cotton swab, cover a tile with alcohol. Do not wipe it clean, but leave a film of solution as a layer on top of your tile.
3. While your tile is still wet with the alcohol solution, either randomly or strategically start dropping your ink dye around the tile. The dye will spread, so there’s no need to load up on it. Let the colors blend and move around.
4. Set your tiles aside to dry for about an hour, just to be safe. Once they are done, turn them over the place a felt tip on each corner.
Once they are all done, let your family use them around the house! They not only brighten up your room, but they would make a great gift for a friend!
What inspires you? If you have the chance, check out Macy’s Flower Show and tell us what crafts it makes you want to try! Give us your feedback on here, Facebook or Twitter!
Also, don’t forget to join us tomorrow for an #MLBBaby Twitter Party from 6-7pm CT!