Spring is here, flowers are blooming and bees are buzzing. What better way to learn about Spring than to talk to your child about one of the important little bugs of the season – bees! This fun craft will help reinforce all they are learning.
What you need:
- Yellow & black construction paper
- Toilet paper tube
- Non-toxic glue
- Pen or crayon
What to do:
- Cut the construction paper into strips.
- Glue on tube alternating between black & yellow.
- Trace child’s 2 hands.
- Cut out hands and glue them on back of tube to form wings of bee.
- Draw a face on the bee.
- Hang from ceiling like bee is flying.
Read a storybook about bees or share the following fun bee facts!
Fun Bee Facts:
- Bees are the only insect int he world that make food that people can eat (honey).
- Eating honey can help you smarter! It is the only food to contain ‘pinocembrin’ that is an antioxidant that improves brain function.
- Many plants rely on insects like bees in order to be pollinated; which is why they provide nectar to say thanks.
- A colony of bees can contain between 20,000 and 60,000 bees, but only one queen bee.
- A bee’s wings beat 190 times a second, that’s 11,400 times a minute!
- Bees have been around for more than 30 million years.
- Honey bees are almost the only bees with hairy compound eyes.