Elephant Appreciation Day Craft
Thursday, September 22nd is Elephant Appreciation Day and to celebrate this symbol of wisdom, we’re sharing this easy to make elephant craft:
What you will need:
- Gray construction paper
- Scissors (for adult use only)
- Non-toxic glue
- Non-toxic black marker
- Googly eyes
How to make elephant craft:
- Cut out a big circle using gray construction paper (we traced a small paper plate to help draw the lines before cutting).
- Cut out a smaller gray circle (we traced a small cup) and glue this onto the larger circle.
- Cut one 1 inch strip of construction paper.
- Fold the strip into an accordion by alternating fold back and forth, and glue onto the smaller circle for the elephant’s trunk.
- Glue two large googly eyes onto the smaller circle.
- Cut the ends of the toothpick off for the tusks and glue onto the small gray circle to complete the face.
- Fold a piece of gray construction paper in half and draw out the ears. Cut them out and glue them onto the elephant’s head.
- Cut out four small rectangles for the elephant’s feet (around 1” x 1”) and glue them onto the bottom of the large circle.
- Using the black marker, draw on the elephant’s toes and outline the ears, head and body.
Once you’ve finished making this craft with your little one, check out these other fun ways to celebrate Elephant Appreciation Day:
- Visit your local zoo too see these majestic creatures up close and personal. If you live in the Indianapolis area, be sure to check out Kalina, the Indianapolis Zoo’s newest baby elephant.
- Watch Disney’s Dumbo or catch an episode of Babar the Elephant.
- Check out the Elefunteria site for more fun crafts and elephant trivia. Did you know that adult elephants sleep standing up??
Posted September 21, 2011