July is national Blueberry month (who knew right?). What better way to celebrate this vitamin-packed fruit than to make some healthy blueberry treats with your kids?
Fun Friday Blueberry Yogurt Popsicles
What you will need:
• 12 paper or foil baking cups, 2 1/2 inch size
• Zest and juices of one small lemon
• 2 cups plain nonfat yogurt
• 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar (We like to use sugar in the raw or Stevia. If using one of these substitutes, use less than recipe calls for.)
• 1 pint blueberries
• 12 popsicle sticks
• Line twelve 2 1/2-inch muffin pan cups with the paper or foil baking cups.
Ready, Set, Make!
1. In a bowl, blend the lemon zest, lemon juice, yogurt, and sugar until smooth.
2. Stir in the blueberries.
3. Divide the mixture within the paper-lined muffing pan cups.
4. Freeze for 1 1/2 hours, or until almost firm: insert a popsicle stick in the middle of each popsicle.
5. Freeze until firm, about 2 hours.
6. To serve, peel off the paper liners and let the popsicles stand at room temperature for about 4 to 6 minutes to soften slightly for easier eating.
If you want to store them in the freezer for a longer time, cover them with plastic wrap.
What healthy summer recipes for kids do you have to share?