Last week we talked about parenting resolutions for 2011 so today we just wanted to share a few tips to keeping those resolutions.
- Choose an attainable goal and keep it simple. Avoid choosing a resolution that you’ve been unsuccessful at achieving year after year. This will only set you up for failure, frustration and disappointment.
- Visualize how you will live out your resolution. Sometimes picturing success makes it more attainable.
- Make contingency plans: don’t assume sticking to your plan will be easy. Plan on hitting bumps along the resolution road and be prepared with specific ways to overcome them.
- Be patient & give it time: most experts agree that it takes about 21 days to create a habit and six months for it to actually become a part of your daily life.
- Reward yourself with each milestone. If you’ve stuck with your resolution for 2 months, treat yourself to something special.
- Ask friends and family members to help you so you have someone to be accountable to.
- Trying turning your resolution into one word that will inspire you. For example if you want to be more patient with your kids so they can experience how much you love them, then love can be your word. If you are trying to live a healthier lifestyle, perhaps grow can be your word. Put that word on your refrigerator or someplace where it will remind you of your resolution.
What tips do you have for living your New Year’s resolution?