I truly believe there is a sock heaven, because every time I put in a load of laundry socks go missing. How is it that when you put 8 socks in the wash, only 7 come out? I neatly pile my unmatched socks in the back of the sock drawer hoping that one day the sock’s mate will reappear. It never happens. I hate throwing out perfectly good socks and have recently found a good use for them – sock puppets!
Making sock puppets and putting on a sock puppet show is not only fun and easy, but helps your child develop his imagination. And the best part? They are easy and inexpensive to make.
What you will need:
• Googly eyes or buttons*
• Non-toxic markers or paint
• Felt or yarn
• Non-toxic fabric glue, glue gun or needle and thread (to be used by adult only)
• Attach the buttons or googly eyes so your sock puppet has eyes and a nose
• Use the markers or paint to draw a smile along the seam of the sock or paint other things on the puppet like a collar or tie
• Glue or sew hair on the puppet or make a little hat from felt
Once the puppet is assembled you can put on a puppet show! Reenact your child’s favorite bedtime story or favorite movie scene. Invite their friends over to put on a sock puppet play or put on a little production for Grandma and Grandpa. The sky isn’t even the limit as you watch your child’s imagination grow.
What fun ideas for matchless socks do you have?
*These items are not recommended for small children