National Creamsicle Day
Usually our Tuesday posts are dedicated to a Tip Tuesday but since today is National Creamsicle Day, our tip is to enjoy this last bit of summer making a tasty treat with your kids!
What you need:
- 2 cups orange juice
- Up to 1/3 cup honey
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cups fresh cream
- 2 cups fresh whole milk
- 4 to 6 drops organic sweet orange essential oil (or 1/4 tsp orange extract)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Stir 1/3 cup honey into 2 cups orange juice.
- Pour the mixture of juice and honey into a heavy-bottomed sauce pan and heat it over a medium flame until reduced by half.
- Once the mixture of honey and orange juice has been reduced by half to viscous syrup, remove it from the heat and allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Whisk four egg yolks, two cups fresh cream and two cups fresh whole milk with organic sweet orange essential oil or orange extract and one teaspoon vanilla extract. Continue whisking until all the ingredients are very well combined.
- Whisk the mixture of honey and orange juice into the mixture of eggs, cream and milk.
- Pour the Creamsicle mixture into your Popsicle molds and freeze until solid, at least twelve hours.
Recipe submitted by A. Koltun, daughter of Kolcraft’s President, Tom Koltun
*If you are concerned about using raw eggs, you can also try the recipe without them, but there will be a bit of a different texture.
Posted August 14, 2012