Preparing Your Child for A New Sibling
You are all excited about your new bundle of love, but you don’t want your other child(ren) to feel left behind when the new baby arrives. A few tips to helping your child(ren) feel included in the arrival of your new baby.
- Tell your child that the baby is a new person in your family who you are going to love & who will love you back.
- Explain how the baby will eat and sleep giving your child an idea of what babies can and cannot do. Let them know they have to be gentle with baby. This will help set expectations of baby.
- Take your child on a tour of the hospital so they know where mommy and baby will be for a few days.
- Buy a gift for your child from baby that he or she will receive from baby when they first meet.
- Have your child help with baby by bringing you a diaper when it’s time to change, kissing baby goodnight, picking out clothes for baby to wear, etc.
- After baby is born find special activities you can do with your child so he or she doesn’t feel left out. It can be as simple as sharing a special snack or going for a walk.
What tips do you have for preparing your child to meet a new sibling?