4th of July is right around the corner, and if you haven’t planned yours already, festive patriotic menus are being planned. With the summer heat in full-swing, something light and cool is the best way to go with any Independence Day treats. How about twist on an American classic – A red, white and blue poke cake!
Growing up, this was a cake my mom always made for us for any occasion. Since it’s served chilled, it’s the perfect dessert for a hot day. What you’ll need for this 4th of July treat is:
- White cake (from the box is just fine, we won’t tell!)
- 3 oz package of your choice of red Jell-O
- 3 oz package of your choice of blue Jell-O
- Cool Whip
1. Follow the directions to make the cake. I use two 9×9 circle pans to get the effect I’m looking for, but sheet cakes would work, too. *Note: if using yellow cake, the blue Jell-O will look green. It might be a good science/art lesson, but not so patriotic.
2. Once the cake is done and cooled a bit, poke holes into the top. I used skewers this time around, but a fork would work as well. Make sure to cover your cake in enough holes or else the jello will not spread enough.
6. After the Jell-O has set, carefully remove the cakes from the pan and start icing. Thankfully Cool Whip is a bit easier to spread than actual frosting. If you want to get even more patriotic, feel free to decorate your cake in red and blue icing or sprinkles.
Keep this cake chilled, and when cutting into it, listen for the oh’s and ah’s!