This week is social media week and a good time to remember some safety social media tips for our kids.
- No online site is truly secure or private. Be sure your child knows not to share personal information.
- Make sure privacy controls are set to private to limit strangers following your child online.
- Help your child understand that he shouldn’t post anything online that he wouldn’t “tell the world” since nothing online is truly private.
- Let your child know that she shouldn’t talk to anyone online that she doesn’t know.
- Tell your child not to enter free giveaways and contests since these require personal information. If a friend forwards anything like this, they should delete it immediately.
While social media has many positive aspects, be sure it doesn’t consume your children – there are some social skills kids can only learn from face to face communication and play.