Sun Tips To Keep Baby & Children Safe
Memorial Day is around the corner and with that comes picnics, vacations, the beach and lots of fun in the sun. This is a welcome break to the drab days of winter, but with sunshine comes the chance of your child’s delicate skin burning.
A few sun safety tips to keep summer burn-free and pleasant:
- Avoid sun in the middle of the day especially between 11 am and 3 pm.
- Cover as much of your baby’s/child’s skin with loose-fitting clothes and use sunglasses on them.
- Use sun hats. We love these sun hats from Buy Buy Baby with neck flaps to keep the sun off delicate neck skin.
- Buy UV sun protection clothes when possible.
- Always use sunscreen. We recommend baby and child safe sunscreens that contain fewer chemicals. Always opt for one that has a SPF of 30 or higher. Apply sunscreen a good 30 minutes before going outside and two hours thereafter as well as after vigorous play or time in the water. We like Parents’ quick guide to 7 safe sunscreens.
- Don’t forget to protect your child from sunburn in the car. Use window shades to keep the sun’s harmful rays off of your child.
Burns aren’t just painful, they can lead to skin cancer later in life. A few easy steps can prevent burns and keep your child happy in the summer sun.
What summer sun tips do you have?