Parenting brings lots of hugs and kisses and also a dent to your bank account. While every penny spent is worth it times ten, some money saving tips can be helpful.
1. Use coupons effectively. Write out your grocery list before you look at coupons so you don’t end up buying something just because you have a coupon. We love Thrifty and Chic Mom site and Coupon Mom for great coupons of the week.
2. Drink water. Soda and specialty drinks can really add up. Make an effort to drink tap water during the day. The savings really add up when you compare the cost to what you would spend on soda and specialty drinks. Plus there is the added benefit of how good it is for your health!
3. Make your own snacks. Yes, the packaging of individual snacks is fun and convenient, but it can drain your bank account. Try making your own snacks or buying snacks in bulk and dividing them up in snack-size baggies. To save money and the environment, divide snacks into reusable snack containers.
4. Double your recipes when you cook. When you shop, purchase twice the ingredients for one or two recipes. You will pay less per pound (especially with meat) when you purchase a larger amount for doubling your recipe. Freeze the extra servings for when you are too busy to cook a full meal. Not only will this save you money at the grocery store, it will save you money since you won’t have to order out when you are too busy to cook.
5. Check out your local consignment shops. Clean out your closet and bring the clothes you aren’t wearing to a local consignment shop. Not only can you make money off reselling your clothes, you can also save money by shopping for you and your children at a consignment shop. You might be surprised at what you will find – even designer items!
What money saving tips do you have?
Posted May 25, 2010