SIDS is the number one cause of death in infants between one month and one year of age. This is a terrible tragedy and one that little by little research is shedding more light upon, but more funding is needed to bring SIDS’ numbers down. Check out Spring for SIDS and how you can help.
Ways to Lower Risk of SIDS:
- Always put your baby on her back to sleep.
- Give baby his own safe sleeping space.
- Put baby to sleep on a firm crib mattress.
- Keep baby’s sleeping space free of pillows, blankets and toys.
- Do not use crib bumpers.
- Keep the air in baby’s room fresh by using a fan.
- Do not allow smoking around your baby. Even smokey clothes can impact your baby.
- Limit baby’s exposure to infection. Feel free to ask people to wash their hands before holding your baby.