Today is National Watermelon Day and to celebrate this tasty treat, Wally Wonderbug has shared his easy-to-make watermelon craft for children.
What you will need:
- White, pink/red and green construction paper
- Scissors (adult use only unless child can safely use them)
- Non-toxic glue
- Non-toxic black marker
How to make watermelon craft:
- Cut the green construction paper into a half circle (we used a big bowl to help draw the lines before cutting).
- Cut pink or red construction paper into a smaller half circle (about 1/2 to 1 inch smaller in diameter).
- Glue the pink or red half circle on the green one to make the watermelon body.
- Cut two small circles out of white construction paper to make the eyes.
- Glue to top of watermelon.
- Draw in small black circles to complete the eyes.
- Using the green construction paper, cut a small half circle in a smile and place on the red/pink part of the watermelon under the eyes.
- Cut four 1 inch strips of green construction paper lengthwise.
- Fold stripes into an accordion by alternating folds back & forth. Once strip is completely folded, let it go & you will get the bouncy accordion effect for the arms & legs. Glue onto the back of the watermelon body.
- Draw in little circles on the pink/red part for the watermelon seeds.
After you are done making the craft, enjoy a slice of nutritious watermelon with your children!