Yesterday was the official start to summer which means plenty of sunshine and a lot of time outdoors especially for kids. It seems like a good time to remember some family smart sun tips! It takes 20-30 minutes for sunscreen to kick into full gear. Apply sunscreen 30 minutes before your child goes outside instead of when they are heading out the door.
It’s easy to forget to put on sunscreen especially when kids are excited to jump in the pool or run in the yard. Make sunscreen application part of your child’s daily routine when they are getting dressed so you don’t forget.
Be generous in applying sunscreen and don’t forget ears and the back of the neck!
Create a game of applying sunscreen. Make up a silly song about sunscreen and have your child wiggle his toes when you are applying on his feet, shake his arm before you put it on his arm, etc. It will be like your very own sunscreen hokey pokey!
Don’t be afraid to try different sunscreens. Some kids prefer the spray sunscreen, others like the lotion or gel. See what works best for your little one.
- Choose a sunscreen that provides broad spectrum UVA and UVB protection.
- Have shade time where your child takes a 10 – 30 minute break under a tree or umbrella so she isn’t in the sun continuously.
- Re-apply sunscreen every 2 hours if your child is in the water or sweating.
- Check with your doctor first before applying sunscreen to your baby or child with sensitive skin.
- Kids learn by imitation. Be sure to always put sunscreen on yourself and your child will pick up on your healthy habits!